In this computer era when children are so much into passive leisure activities like playing video games, being on social media and watching, metal detecting comes in handy. Metal detecting involves searching for metallic items beneath the ground like coins, jewelry, and civil war relics among other valuables. A good, quality metal detector will be needed to make the activity fun.
Metal detecting instills creativity, discipline, perseverance, patience, imagination and problem solving skills in children, which are important in their daily lives. The kids can sell the valuables or make their collection of valuables, something they sure will take pride in.
There is no better way of bringing back childhood memories than carrying out treasure hunt through metal detecting. Metal detecting is also a great way to explore a place with some history that interests you. The treasures carry with them a rich and interesting history. Metal detecting can actually be used as an excursion study for history classes, making learning interesting.
The Best Metal Detectors
1. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
Garret AT Pro AT Meat detector is an advanced digital metal detecting machine from garret. This machine works excellently on all terrains meaning it can be used for treasure hunting on dry land and in water bodies like oceans and lakes. It is used to find relics, coins, cache, jewelry and for prospecting of gold nuggets.
Garret AT Pro metal detector is built using Garret’s finest technology incorporating superior features that make it one of the best metal detectors if not the best. It can be used for hobby treasure hunting and professional treasure hunting.
- Digital track ID: it has 0-99 target identification scale which makes it easy to distinguish one metal from the other.
- Manual/automatic ground balance:Ground balancing is important to reduce the effect of ground mineralization on the detector, which is giving false signals.
- Frequency and depth: It has a high frequency of 15 kHz which enables the Garret AT Pro metal detector detect even small sized targets. It can only detect targets 9-8 inches deep
- Electronic pinpointing:This features enables the machine to detect the precise location of the target detected.
- Waterproof: This features enables it to be an all-terrain metal detector. It can be immersed for up to 10” deep.
- Iron Audio identification: This features helps with discrimination of iron and other ferrous materials in the ground. The tone for iron is kept silence and hence does not send an audio signal.
- High resolution iron discrimination: It has 40 levels of iron discrimination setting. Discrimination level is set by use of the touchpads at one of the 40 levels. You adjust the elimination on the LCD screen, either increasing or reducing it.
2. Garret ACE 350 Metal Detector
Garret ACE 350 metal detector is the latest model in the Garret ACE metal detectors series; it is simply an improvement of the ACE 150 and 250 detectors. Like the 150 and 250 ACE metal detectors, it is black and yellow in color. They is actually no noticeable physical difference between any of the three ACE metal detecting machines.
The machine can be used to find virtually every treasure, from coins, relics, jewelry and even gold nuggets.
- Target ID: Garret ACE 350 metal detector has 12 target identification segments, making it really efficient at identifying targets.
- High resolution Iron discrimination: It has 4 iron discrimination segments which, making it iron-blind and hence its efficiency is not lowered by heavy ground mineralization.
- Frequency: Garret ACE 350 metal detector has a frequency of 8.25 kHz, enabling it detect very small sized targets like gold nuggets, even when they are seated deep. It is an improvement of ACE 250 which has a frequency of 6.5 kHz.
- In- built search modes: This metal detector has 5 in built search modes: Coins, Relics, All metal, Jewelry, Custom, which allows one to configure the device however they want.
- LCD display: It has LCD display screen that shows the following: Sensitivity indicator, Detecting mode, Target ID, Coin depth indicator, Battery level indicator. Garret ACE 350 metal detector is in a better position to detect low conductive targets like gold compared to ACE 250, hence has a larger target display area compared to its predecessors. This LCD screens makes operation of the machine easier than if it were being operated using knobs, especially for beginners.
- Coin depth indicator: It has a coin depth indicator on the LCD display hence tells one the depth of the target discovered.
- Double-D search coil: It has 11” DD PROformance search coil which increase depth and lateral detection ability, as the coil passes over a large surface area with each swing. The DD search coil enables the machine get better target separation. You can discriminate targets through eliminating them on the search coil. You move the cursor above a particular target, press the eliminate button and it becomes discriminated. You can also undo that by adding the target on back.
- Electronic pinpoint: Pinpointing ensures on knows the precise location of the target detected. This come a long way in easing digging up for the target as the exact location is made known. The point where the strongest tone is heard is the precise location of the target. Garret ACE 350 metal detector is a lightweight machine and also easy to use as it digitalized.